The volunteers of St Marie’s Heritage Group were delighted to entertain a room full of guests for a special presentation and reminiscence event on Saturday afternoon. Group member (and former Head of St Marie’s School), Roger Harrison led the talk and provided fascinating insight into the history of the school. Roger was able to show extracts from the School Minute Book on a big screen and explained the context behind the recorded words.
Not surprisingly, Roger delivered his presentation with his customary warmth and whit.
Attendees were also able to look through the hand written Parish Logs and search for family Marriage Banns and other notices.
Here’s the feedback we collected on the day:
Was there anything you particularly liked?
– Liked the history of the schools. Enjoyed looking at books and finding Marriage Banns.
– Liked it all. Really interesting. Let’s have more.
– Was satisfied and thoroughly enjoyed.
– Excellent talk by Roger.
– Excellent presentation.
– A very interesting talk by Roger.
– Very interesting & informative.
– I found it very interesting. I found my wedding banns from 1967.
– Enjoyed the books. Generations of familiar names – even to this day.
– Enjoyed the presentation immensely. Pleasant journey back in time of the history. The presentation was great, inserting humour along with personal experiences to make it more enjoyable & interesting. Was transported to another time.
– Very interesting.
– Seeing how things & events from yesteryear happened.
– Very informative. Thank you for a lovely afternoon.
– All of it.
– All of it.
– Very interesting. Really enjoyed it.
– Very interesting talk from Roger.
– Really informative & interesting. Great to hear so much about Miss Pinnington – she was a star!
Was there anything you particularly disliked?
Any ideas for future Heritage Events at St Marie’s?
– Looking into the history of the Chemical Industry in the area. How this had an effect on the area and population rise.
– Would love to have more local speakers especially old St Marie’s ex pupils talking about their experiences at the school and church.
– Excellent. Please continue the good work.
– Would like to see wedding photos of the past 100 years. Also, if anyone has photos of school classes and teachers.
– Would love individuals who have a history here to take time telling personal stories & accounts of time spent here.
– Saturday afternoon singalong.
– How about a local heritage quiz?
– Quiz, music.
– We could all bring old photos of the Church and School and view them under the projector – and then say a few words about them.