The volunteers of St Marie’s Heritage Group were delighted to welcome over 50 visitors to St Marie’s for our latest Heritage Event (“Our Favourite Carols”) on Tuesday 5th December.
Having first enjoyed the free mulled wine and mince pies, attendees enjoyed informative introductions to each Carol provided by other guests or by our master of ceremonies, Roger Harrison. They then joined the Parish Choir of St Wilfrid in singing the Carols accompanied by superb organ work from Peter Finney or France Atherton.
Here’s what attendees said on the night:
Was there anything you particularly liked?
– The history behind the hymns. Very interesting.
– “We Long to See Thee So”. I had not heard it since I was at school.
– Enjoyed it very much
– It’s always a lovely event to sing carols, especially in the particularly beautiful church. “Come, come, come to the manger” – maybe next time
– Loved being with old friends from St Marie’s recalling happy memories.
– Just enjoy anything concerning St Marie’s.
– Was all good.
– Simply love St Marie’s. Always have. Always will.
– “Silent Night”. “Away in a Manger.”
– Nice atmosphere, enjoyed singing the Christmas Carols.
– Found very emotional. “Away in a Manger”. Nice event brings back memories when in St Marie’s Girl Choir & sang at Midnight Mass.
– Singing. Refreshments. Venue.
– The refreshments. The carols.
– It was nice to see a Choir in the “Choir”. Wonderful – as usual.
– Very nice evening.
– The “Ladies” Group.
– Very warm & welcoming. A nice gesture. Coffee and mulled wine!!! A really good evening yet again.
– All was liked. Thank you.
– Yes, the beautiful church and all its wonderful memories.
– The whole evening. The facts & history surrounding the hymns.
– Feeling of togetherness.
– I liked the feeling of nostalgia.
– I loved the atmosphere
– Nice to hear peoples stories about the carols.
– Usual warm welcome and most enjoyable experience! Well done Roger & Peter… and always – Matthew!
Was there anything you particularly disliked?
– Plenty of empty seats – speaking to a St Marie’s group who would have attended said that all the seats had been taken! Suggest when booking a seat – take address/phone number and let you know if cannot participate. Have a reserve list!!
Any ideas for future Heritage Events at St Marie’s?
– Will attend any events held in the future.
– Maybe a film night
– Nativity Play. Childrens Choir. Xmas tree/decorations or Nativity Scene.
– Anything – we’ll be here!
– “A Sixties Night”
– Talk on school outings & Scouts.
– Any Community get togethers.
– Summer Concert.
– Coffee morning and get together with past pupils and parishioners.
– Coffee morning
– Coffee morning
Regarding the above point about empty seats. We do ask attendees to let us know if they are unable to attend, but unfortunately, very few people do. We can’t really operate a Waiting List system if we don’t know that people who’ve reserved seats aren’t going to turn up. Over 30 people who had reserved places didn’t attend this event.