The St Marie’s Heritage Group were delighted to welcome 41 visitors on Saturday afternoon (06.02.16) to hear an enjoyable and informative from Bob Roach entitled “Local Legends – The Story & the Song”.
Bob talked about The Bold Griffin, The Chile of Hale and The Ghost of Speke Hall. The origins of each legend were described by Bob before he played us a recording of his late wife, Chris, singing some beautiful songs she’d written about each.
A big thank you to Jane, Christine, Tony, Maeve, Roger and Peter (from the St Marie’s Heritage Group) for helping out on the day. Special thanks also to Jane from Halton & St Helens VCA for all her help too.
Here’s the feedback we collected on the day:
Was there anything you particularly liked?
– Very informative and entertaining. Particularly good to hear the songs.
– Going to visit The Bold Chapel in St Lukes very soon. Enjoyed the singing, great touch. Very enjoyable afternoon. 🙂
– Mid talk break VG. Whole place atmospheric
– Very interesting speaker. Nice to learn about the area having moved over to this side of the country.
– I think the restoration of this building is amazing. A very big thank you.
– Music added to the presentation.
– Good interaction/animation of the speaker. Maintained an interest for the audience.
– Excellent. Will come again if possible.
– Excellent surroundings.
– Some interest in Child of Hale & Brasenose College. I will try & check on any artefacts via my son.
– Particularly interested in Speke Hall & Hale.
– John Roach gave interesting speech.
– Very well presented. Good rapport with audience.
– It was excellent and a very relaxed atmosphere.
I thought the info re St Lukes Church very interesting. Also the knowledge that there is still a right of way through Bold.
– Excellent Power Point presentation. Just long enough. Could hear and see well. Lovely venue – nice & warm!
– Love Heritage, anything local I enjoy.
– Amazed – I thought I knew all about the local area & the footpaths I walk on. Now I have more areas & particular aspects to investigate. Thank you!
– I really enjoyed the talk, it was very informative.
– To hear about the Bold area. I didn’t realise there was so much history in that area.
– Musical input great!
– Fascinating information about local legends.
Was there anything you particularly disliked?
– I suggest the screen should be raised a bit higher, difficult to see over peoples heads from the back.
Any ideas for future Heritage Events at St Marie’s?
– What’s known of Birchfied House? And the tunnel from St Lukes.
– Would like to hear more about the history of Speke.
– Not at the moment. But will contact members.
– Music!! Local choirs etc.
– Nazareth House history, Ditchfield Hall.
– Possibly about Spike Island and the surrounding area before the Bridge (new bridge) by passes everything.
– Folk singing.
We hope you all enjoyed the day!